International Car Shipping Questions and Answers

Answers to some of the main questions when dealing with car shipments

What paper work do I need?

We require a copy of your photo page of your passport, a copy of the V5C (log book). Also a copy of the Bill of Sale for your vehicle. If we are collecting your vehicle by Plate Driver then we also need a copy of the MOT certificate.

Is my vehicle insured whilst in transit?

You are advised to take out extra insurance for transit overseas, we can offer this for 2.5% of the value of your vehicle. Our insurance covers, loss, damage, fire & theft. Please ask for details of full terms of cover.

Will there be any Port & Clearance charges?

Yes there will be charges to pay at destination for Terminal Handling, unloading fees, port charges, customs clearance, duties & taxes (if applicable). You are advised to seek advice prior to shipping, Please check our Customs and Excise duties page for more information.

How will my vehicle be shipped?

We offer a couple of options, we can ship your vehicle on our roll on/roll off vessels or by Container services (shared or dedicated). If shipping personal effects you would need to ship your vehicle by container services in most cases. It is advisable to discuss your options with a member of our team.

How much fuel should I leave in my vehicle?

If we are collecting by Plate Driver services, we advise that you put enough fuel in the car to reach the port of departure. Once the vehicle is at the port we recommend that there is no more than a quarter of a tank left in it.

What if my car cannot be driven, can it still be shipped?

In most cases we can still ship your vehicle providing there are brakes and steering, additional fees may be applied for towing equipment and labour involved. Please ask a member of our team for further information if you are still unsure.

What forms of payment are accepted?

We accept either Credit or Debit card (there is a fee of 2.95% per transaction), Bank transfer (this is free), cheque or cash.

Can I take personal items inside the vehicle?

As a rule the answer is no if shipping by Roll on/Roll off with the exception of a few ports (please ask for details), you can only take personal items if shipping by container services as this offers a safer option and also offers added security.

Will I need to have my vehicle delivered to the port?

It depends on your personal circumstances and preference, we can supply you with all documentation so that you can deliver to the port or we can arrange to have your vehicle collected by either Plate Driver Services or have it collected on a Transporter truck. We can offer the option of open or enclosed transporter services.

Will I need to deal with Customs when shipping overseas?

We have many agents all over the world that we have a good working relationship with, we can either recommend an agent who can help and assist the clearance process or you can choose your own agent, the choice is yours.

If you need any more information about anything to do with international car shipping then dont hesitate in giving us a call and speaking to one of our very helpful and freindly members of staff who will be able to help you with any questions that you may have. You can contact us today through any of the methods listed below in our contact sheet, or on our dedicated contact page, we look froward to hearing from you.